Learn the Danger Signs of a Sky-is-Falling Persona
According to the fable, Chicken Little believes the world is doomed after an acorn falls on his head. “The sky is falling!” he proclaims to everyone he passes on his way to see the king.
CL persuades others to buy into his tragic belief, but eventually this chick loses all credibility.
I’ve seen my fair share of modern-day Chicken Littles. For them, everything is a fire drill – even mundane, insignificant drivel. And, they believe, it all deserves immediate attention.
Folks initially take heed and treat them with respect, but eventually, they tune ’em out.
Because most offenders aren’t even aware of their “issues,” here are some handy danger signs to watch for:
- “High priority” is the default setting on your Outlook account.
- Your life plan is modeled after The Battle of Midway.
- You call in sick to work when it’s partly cloudy.
- You find Lady Gaga’s music to be quite understated.
- You’ve never forgotten that nasty flu shot from 1993.
- Your mother’s great uncle once met the Pope.
- Each time you watch “The Wizard of Oz,” you’re convinced the Wicked Witch will finally kill Dorothy.
- You were one of those kids who believed he was dying everytime he got a bloody nose.
- You’ve heard the sun is gradually burning out.
- You think you have the most amazing dog ever.
- You can’t spell (or say) the word “subtlety.”
- One time, during that terrible snowstorm, you nearly fishtailed.
P.S. The same principles apply to Henny Penny as well.
See related post: My Exclamation Point